Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How to horka

I thought I'd show everyone that, although I am a gentlepup in every conceivable way, I do sometimes act just a wee bit naughty. Normally, I don't destroy toys, but my person captured me in the actual act of dismembering a fleece toy. Don't I look proud?

Several folks asked in response to my last blog how my people learned about forced vomiting--or "horka-ing" if you're speaking Dog. Well, they learned about it after Renzo had to spend two days at the emergency vet after he ate a bag of dark Hershey's kisses. For those who don't know, chocolate tastes just as good to us as it does to the people, BUT, it affects us like cocaine does people and we can overdose on it pretty easily. By the time my people got Renzo to the vet, he was completely wired for sound and the vets and the people were pretty worried about him.

When my people told the story to some of their dog friends, the friends told them about the hydrogen peroxide. Before they used it the first time (on me, with the Dobie pad mentioned in previous post), they double checked with their vet (because that's the kind of geeks they are), who verified that H2O2 is a fine emetic (though of course "fine" is a matter of perspective).

On a more pleasant note, we have finally gotten some colder weather--we had some ice (which caused a HUGE limb to fall off one of our trees, but luckily the only damage it did was to explode a bird feeder--it came mighty close to the house, though.

More importantly, our agility lessons are back on the docket--I went Monday night and Tansy and Hamish go tonight. Tomorrow night, Kyzer goes for Kindergarten. Rafe and Renzo are sitting out this round, but they said they didn't mind--it must be an R-name thing. We also got to go work the sheep on Saturday--which was great since we hadn't seen them for a few weeks. They told us rather haughtily that they hadn't missed us a bit. For that, I ran at them extra fast and ignored my person when she told me to "lie down". Sometimes you just have to take the penalty to reinforce proper respect and all. I learned that from watching football.

And just for a gratuitous finish--here's a shot of Rafe and Kyzer sharing a doggie bed. Aren't they sweet? You'd never know what a lug-oaf Rafe is by the looks of him lying there, would you. Thank heavens, I'm around to keep the record straight.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

That is so cool that you get to work sheep! I totally don't want to work, but it might be fun for me to bark at some sheep!

The Army of Four said...

Oh, Pippin! You do look so proud of your work! What if there had been something bad hiding in that stuffie toy? You just never know!
Thanks for the paws up about the "licking" thing. I'll warn Zim. We may need to re-tool the plan again.
Tail wags,
Storm
PS: Beware of "Justin" - sick site and it'll make your computer all but horka.

Ivy said...

hey hey pippin! working sheep sounds like so much fun! i wunder if they haf any contests for working cats? that wud be even funner!

tell your mom not to worry about you destroying a cupple of toys now and again. they are just like sheep -- sumtimes you haf to take the penalty to renew a little respect!

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

That's such a cute pic of Rafe and Kyser - it is nice that they share :-)

Love
Opy

Anonymous said...

i love the mental image of the bird feeder exploding after the branch fell on it!!

Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

Stuffies were made to be dismembered!

Licks
Oscar x

Sunshade said...

Kyzer is getting soooo big! How big will he get fully matured??

I got a STINKY at home too, he was 11 lbs at 9 weeks, he is 10 weeks today, so we have to weigh him.

Love nibbles,
Miss Sunshade